Paraprofessional Job descriptions – A paraprofessional educator, instructional assistant, educational assistant or classroom assistant, is a teaching-related position within a school generally responsible for giving assistance for students in elementary and secondary schools.
Paraprofessional Job descriptions
- Assist and work closely with teachers, administrators, and other team members in providing educational and social-emotional support for students
- Work closely with Teacher to deliver instruction individually, in small groups, and in support of whole class instruction
- Maintain the safety and development of the students in his/her care
- Participating in frequent meetings with parents and school leadership as required
- Collaborate with teachers and staff members to create an effective learning environment that accommodates for any special or additional learning needs of students
- Support and reinforce school and classroom rules, routines, procedures, and otherwise promote a positive and productive school culture
- Provides/adjusts classroom activities for all special education students to participate in classroom activities
- Monitors student work, scores papers and assessments, supervises curriculum-based testing and makeup work as assigned
- Performs clerical tasks, classroom tasks, and instructional duties as assigned
- Alerts the mental health staff and leadership to any problem or special information about an individual student
- Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, play periods, and on field trips
- Performs assigned non-instructional classroom duties, such as snack time, restroom breaks, etc.
- Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in school environment and community
- Maintains safe working environment in the performance of all school-related duties
- Performs other such duties / assignments as directed by the Program Director, within the scope of job description
- Engage in trainings required to provide effective programming to students. Supports the teacher with data collection for the purpose of documenting activities and/or providing reliable information.
- Actively participate in all team meetings and discussions
Paraprofessional Job Requirement:
- High school diploma
- The commitment and personal responsibility to do whatever it takes to help prepare students for college and beyond
- Working knowledge and understanding of the field of child development with specific application to the area of special education and related services;
- Working knowledge of academic and functional instruction as defined by the school’s population;
- Considerable patience and awareness of the different disabilities of students in assigned location;
- Ability to assist students with personal care/hygiene needs such as diapering, toilet training, handling clothing fasteners, bath rooming adolescents and young adults, and feeding students;
- Ability to physically assist students, such as lifting, transferring, and other activities required to care for students with physical disabilities;
- Ability to work cooperatively with and provide a broad range of assistance to the instructional staff;
- Working knowledge of or ability to learn computer skills; and
- Ability to communicate effectively between students and general education teachers.