Camp Counselor job description is responsible for Preparation, leading, and Implementing core program and experiences for kids in a small group setting. They will also be responsible for the overall safety and development, expansion, and ability accomplishment of the participants in their team
The main function of a Camp Counselor is as a leader, role model and ethical compass to camper’s ages 7 – 16, the main responsibility is the overall supervision. The Camp Counselor will ensure safety and security and make a camping is become fun experience
Camp counselor job description:
- Help write and execute a weekly program for your camp team.
- Organize and lead of small and large group activities weekly. Tasks may include crafts, character, music, games, opening and closing ceremonies, swimming, archery, canoeing, Family Night, etc. This includes time spent on the bus.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issue.
- Working with other camp staff members to plan and coordinate camp events.
- Leading and supporting campers as they participate in age-appropriate activities.
- Monitoring campers to ensure compliance with camp rules and prevent injuries.
- Cleaning, maintaining and ensuring appropriate use of camp facilities and equipment.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records such as incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand all emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, apply, and adhere to all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas.
- Help guide Junior Counselors and Camp Volunteers to have a deeper comprehension of leadership and counselling skills.
- When applicable, maintain constant surveillance of pool area,
- Memorizing all emergency procedures and enforcing camp rules.
- Reporting and recording details of incidents, such as accidents or rule violations, to parents and camp staff.
- See camp specific addendum for program details.
- Attend monthly training and staff meetings
Camp counselor job Requirements
- Offered First Aid and BLS certification.
- Experience in camp, working with kids, recreation, youth programs, or in a related area.
- Ability to direct, plan, organize, and implement camp program activities.
- Ability to function as a member of a group and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- If appropriate, present nationally accredited lifeguard certificate (applicable for body of water being guarded).
- Capable of carrying loads of up to 90 pounds
- Able to work in dirt and dust condition.
- Perform essential program support to camp activities and programs which may include, but not limited to the activities: crouching, kneeling, shoveling, working in narrow and/or confining spaces underground, overhead, and at floor level, twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs, and lying on stomach or back.
- Has to be able to physically handle and encourage kids when needed for security in general camp activities
- Ability to perform an assortment of tasks outdoor in various climate.
- If appropriate, ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- If appropriate, physically perform all abilities required of a lifeguard.
- If appropriate, remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- When applicable, see and observe all sections of an assigned zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
How old do you have to be to be a counselor at a summer camp?
You are under 17 you can only get a support jobs in landscaping, kitchen or office. Camps counselors require an age of 17 or 18 years old. But, some camp jobs might be available for 16-year-old or younger (based on hiring policy and state labor laws)
How much do day camp counselors get paid?
Day Camp Counselor Hourly Pay. The Normal Day Camp Counselor salary is $9/houR
What skills do you need to be a camp counselor?
The top 8 skills that you need to be a good camp counselor.
- Be Fair
- Problem Solving
- Must love kids.
- Be a Good Role Model.
- Leadership Skills.
- Have a great patience.
- Have a good Communication Skills.
- Strong Stamina.